David James is a graduate
of University of Notre Dame
class of 1970, with a major
in political science, and holds
a master's degree in liberal
studies (Academic Excellence Award)
from IU South Bend,
class of 2009.
Every student in the South Bend Community School Corporation is entitled to:
- Curricula that positively present diverse school populations, racial and gender minorities, and English language learners;
- A school that uses innovative approaches to discipline--an end to the school-to-prison pipeline--an end to suspensions and expulsions;
- Discipline handled by school personnel--more psychologists and counselors; more hope;
- School that doesn't hide students or let them fall through the cracks.
Parents and prospective parents should have:
- Support and, for difficult situations, a quickly-assigned parent advocate;
- A "school" for parents to guide families through the maze of programs and curricula; and
- The opportunity to learn what their children are learning.
Teachers should have:
- Support for their union, wage parity with the Michiana region, working conditions (class size, curriculum) to be bargainable.
The South Bend community needs:
[Click this link for a terrific compendium of scholarship on "school choice."]
- An end to vouchers and exclusive schools; magnet opportunities need to be a part of every neighborhood school;
- A school board that fights for higher state appropriations.
- The best possible public education for its children; "critical thinkers for a just society"!